Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Newsroom

Last week I was asked to make some images of Randy Shaver (a news anchor with Kare 11 who specializes in sports stories) to go along with a story one of our editors is working on. I was told we'd start shooting around 4:30 and that I'd just be shooting pj style stuff of Randy as the editor interviewed him.

Sooo...I rolled up to the Channel 11 building at about 4:10 and left my gear by the front desk while I parked my car. The parking lot isn't that far away but I'm lazy and try not to schlep gear further than I have to. It was probably quarter after 4 by the time I got back and signed in at the front desk. I was kindly informed by the receptionist that Randy was in an interview with a lady but tha he wouldnt' be much longer. Fine. I sat down and threw a lens on my new-to-me D2X. I was playing around with it, taking in the rather nice sitting room when it dawned on me that the lady said he was being interviewed - not that he was interviewing somebody. "That's kind of odd..." I figured I'd better check who was doing the interview just in case it was our lady... and sure enough it was. The receptionist hustled me back and showed me a small glass-walled conference room entirely lit with flourescent overhead lights. Yuk! But since I"ve been shooting assignments for Metropolitan Media Group I've become accustomed to making the best of things in less than ideal shooting scenarios. I had just finished switching lenses when Randy suggested we go shoot the rest of the interview in the broadcast studio. That sounded like a pretty good idea to me so I didn't argue. I followed him and we watched the last 45 seconds of a live broadcast segment. When they finished and were leaving - Randy asked one of the guys to leave the lights on while we shot. There were a number of news sets/desks and Randy and Kate sat down to finish the interview. I snapped away for about 10 minutes and then we were done. :)

Afterwards Kate told me she had arrived early (as any good editor should) and wound up just starting the interview early. That was a relief to me as I had had 4:30 down and was worried I'd missed something. (sigh of relief)

Kate did an amazing job conducting the interview (and is an awesome editor to boot). I can already tell it's going to be fun working with her and the rest of the Metropolitan Media Group in the future. :)

Here are a couple of the images from the shoot: (Photos were shot as part of an assignment for Metropolitan media group.)

1 comment:

Steph G said...

Congrats Josh! Wonderful to see you branching out into all different aspects of the photog industry! You're an amazing photographer and I can't wait to shoot with you again... in the meantime, best of luck to you on your new journey!

Love Steph G.